Monday, February 4, 2008

Connecting the Dots- Connectivism (Week 2)

Today, information is readily available at our fingertips. It’s not unusual for us to ‘google’ something only to find us heading to Wikipedia first. When did we all agree that the web was going to be the subject matter expert for everything we didn’t know? And for that matter, when did we start trusting strangers on the web to help us with a problem? How do we know they aren’t misleading us?

We all have opinions and experiences that we share with one another. In the past, we would share our thoughts with our family, friends and acquaintances. Today, more and more individuals are sharing their thoughts via blogs, wikis and forums on the web. Their knowledge is now being shared with unknown faces from all over; Creating a unique and personal learning experience for everyone.

As an information seeker (a.k.a. ‘learner’) I find solace when I can find a forum addressing an issue I’m experiencing and am just too lazy to look for the answers in the online manual or manufacturer’s web site. It seems they always have the solutions when I need it (‘now’) and where I need it (at my fingertips)

I believe that with technology being so accessible in our homes and offices (even our pockets), we become very impatient with people when we talk to them. When was the last time you called customer support for an issue? Like the rest of us, you probably exhausted yourself on the web before looking up the phone number- on the web- and called.

Today’s learner, no matter what generation, who is comfortable with a computer and the web, will look for information using new technology when they can. Today’s learner is active and eager. They want their answers when they want it and how they want it. Think ordering at Burger King, “Have it your way.”

The Web 2.0 technologies are enabling the new Learner to tap into others, many times strangers we will never meet but for the web. It is this ability to connect with one another in various channels that makes the next wave of learning exciting and challenging for the Instructional Designer. We will face new challenges to create and deliver materials in ways that will take advantage of the technology and benefit the new learner.

2 comments:

Come and See Africa said...

I thank you for your thoughtful entry. We--teachers and instructional designers--are faced with new challenges to create and deliver materials in ways to meet the needs of digital generation. I look forward to read your thoughts on education and educational technology.

Joshua said...

I do see the impatience I now have to phone-tech support, I need the immediacy of the internet. I also see this disdain I have when people are explaining things to me, when I get a quicker answer online. "Give me an address and I'll google it", is how I like to put an end to endless directions I get from people. Also, I don't accept unanswered questions as much as I used to. There's always internet access nearby, so let's go find out the answer together.