Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Bloggin Bout Blogs (Say it 3 times Fast)


I have to admit that I am very new to this blog thing. So when we were asked to create a learning journal online, I was a bit hesitant. After all this reflection is personal isn't it? Why would I want to have my classmates read my thoughts and then comment on them? I didn't get it.

Fast forward to 5 weeks into the semester and I've got this blog, and more importantly, I've created a personal blog. The blogging experience is addicting (much like the rest of the Web 2.0 technology). Throughout the week, I look for topics, videos, and the like to post on my blog. I've directed my friends to it over the past weeks. Unfortunately, instead of posting a comment, they send me email (I guess I can be thankful that they don't call me!).

During our discussion this week, we brainstormed on what kind of blogs are out there and their characteristics. Personal blogs. Political blogs. Commercial blogs. Scholastic blogs. Food blogs. How-to blogs. The list goes on! Everyone has voice. Blogs let it be 'heard'.

When I left corporate America last year, I told my colleagues to be on the lookout for a blog chronicling my adventures in graduate school. This is my 2nd semester. Better late than never.

5 comments:

Come and See Africa said...

Hey, I love the baby pic. Is that you? I think when we are engaged, real learning begins. You used the word "addicting", I will use the word "engaging". I believe that education should focus on learner's engagment (process), not on achievement(product). I am glad to know that you are sharing your learning experience with your friends.

Yu-Fen said...

My personally enjoy the engaging new technologies, but I very much agree with the term " addicting" that exactly describes my behavior of checking my blogs, igoogle... several times a day. HA.

Marcus P. said...

Engagement is defintely a buzzword for the 'new economy'. It is with engagement (employee, learner, or otherwise) that individuals connect with one another. A sense of community is born for that company, classroom or project.

However, like Yu-Fen, the more 'engaging' the technology...the more 'addicted' I become!

Marcus P. said...

Baby pic...not me. Just the another 'digital native' for 2008!

Come and See Africa said...

Cute avatar! First time I heard the term "engagement" was 25 years ago from Seymour Pappert. It was a buzzword in education, now it came back. Nothing is new under the sun.